St. Stephens CME Church was organized out of John Wesley CME Church in 1890 in Mechanicsville Bead, Lee County on Valley Road. This was only twenty years after the CME, and then known as "Colored Methodist Episcopal", church was organized.
The first church property was sold to Brothers Daniel Colquitt, Willie Cook, and Robert Finch. They purchased land from Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Albright.
Before the new church building was erected, the members worshipped outside on their newly purchased property under a tree in the bush harbor. Rev. G. W. Ferguson pastored this makeship church.
On February 2, 1890, the first church building was completed in the form
of a cottage. In 1908, the second church building of St. Stephens was
constructed about two hundred feet from the first building.
In later years, Ms. Camilla Mitchell donated a portion of her land to the church. Pastor Dr. G.M. Frazier and members decided to expand and move to its current location in Riverview, currently know as the City of Valley, Alabama.
The church sits on the corner of Columbus Road and Mitchell Street.